All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Writer's Block - The Entry That Doesn't Exist

I have had one or two problems over the last couple of days finding interesting things to write about. I think I need a holiday. Fortunately, half term approaches, and in 8 days or so I'll be in Sri Lanka for a week. This should recharge my batteries somewhat.

I've actually done an extra two weeks of work compared to most teachers (you non-teachers will probably be unable to sympathise with this) as I had to be here for "orientation" two weeks before term began.

Anyway, to give an idea of just how tired and uninspired I am, I took a photo of my shower curtain tonight with the express intention of writing about it. This shower curtain, I hasten to add, was here when I arrived - indeed, it was part of my "relocation package" and it was one of the items on my inventory. I originally thought I might be able to craft an amusing entry about the eerie wildlife it depicts, but poo-pooed the idea almost as soon as I had digested it.

I'd always thought it was slightly odd as shower curtains go. But, this evening, as I was going about my business in the bathroom, I realised just how odd it is. There's something childish about the drawings, yet also something unnatural and other-wordly. Why are only some of them coloured in? Why is the bird thing looking upwards? What is the curious red thing with jointed knees? Is it a dromedary camel? If so, why does it have the legs of a giraffe? The chicken seems to be suffering from some kind of mad cow bird flu hybrid.

And the tortoise has wheels.

I wouldn't have stared at it for so long, but I had consumed a fairly heavy meal.

I'm sure you're extremely grateful that I aborted the idea, never took the photograph and never posted the entry.


I almost wrote about this Posted by Hello

7 Comments:

  • At 2:41 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    I think that the red thing with jointed knees may be a giant ant - I love those guys!!!

    BTW means "by the way" - I learnt that today ... perhaps I am becoming an 'erd

     
  • At 2:43 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Who is OAM?

    On A Mission?
    Old Aunt Margaret?
    Oldon A Minute>?

     
  • At 7:27 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    Do you know, by the end of this post I would have been pissed off if you *hadn't* posted that picture.

    I need to get out more.

     
  • At 11:27 pm, Blogger Me said…

    There is no prize, I'm afraid - it happened while I was out tonight, so no idea who it was. Can't believe it's clocked up 1000 in 12 days. The fact that most of the hits have been me is irrelevant.

    Also find it shocking that an entry that doesn't exist has clocked up 8 comments. What are you people on?

     
  • At 8:29 am, Blogger Me said…

    Lewis' Dad - going to Sri Lanka with a couple of friends. They've booked it all - all I know is that we're having a couple of days in Columbo and are heading for Unawatuna for some beach action. Neither of these are places people have advised me to go to in Sri Lanka... but I'm sure it'll be great. I'll probably go back at some point for longer, anyway. A lot of people I've met here say it's their favourite place.

     
  • At 12:29 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yes, but have they been to Bristolbycomparison?

     
  • At 12:44 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've just checked .... no-ones been there so they can't have!

    Perhaps I should post something on it.... or maybe someone else could? Any offers?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home