All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

An Early Morning Visitor

Imagine my surprise when I arrived at my desk at 6.50 this morning to find this little beauty, sitting there on the floor, just next to my chair.



Of course, I immediately ran around the room, screaming, pulling at my hair and rolling my trousers up until I found a chair to stand on.

I watched him. He watched me. Neither of us moved. Stalemate.

Gingerly, I approached with extreme caution and took a photo. I was too scared to put a recognisable object in the shot to enable you to appreciate its size. Believe me, it was huge.

Courageously, I picked up a metre ruler and flicked him away from my chair and into the middle of the room, because I didn't want him to try to make friends with me. He landed on his back. After watching him waggle his legs about for a minute or so, I flipped him over.

He lost two legs in the process, but didn't seem too bothered.

He remained in the middle of the room as I worked nervously at my desk - I often glanced up at him to check if he'd hobbled off anywhere. After about half an hour, I sensed that we'd built up a grudging respect for each other. I stepped over him and went to a meeting.

By the time I returned, he'd made his excuses and left. I hope he's not back tomorrow with Chris the Cockroach and Sammy the Snake.

Anyone know what he is? I'd like to give him an alliterative name too.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sweet jaysus!

    iyers

     
  • At 10:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    http://www.museums.org.za/bio/insects/cockroaches/

    ????

    thomkat

     
  • At 11:26 pm, Blogger Me said…

    So, it is a cockroach, is it? I didn't think it was cos it looked like it had wings. Perhaps cockroaches do have wings. Perhaps this didn't. I'm sure I'll soon be more than established with them. I'll check the link and work it out. Thanks. Feel quite stupid now.

     
  • At 11:28 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Just checked, and some do have wings. Here I am communicating with myself. Must be time for bed.

     
  • At 7:22 am, Blogger Damo said…

    Well, the usual trick is to put a glass on it, then some card under it, then take the bugger out. But as you were too scared to give us too a sense of perspective, I don't know if it would fit under one.

    How do you know it didn't mind the loss of legs, though... did you ask? Considering that I understood that the last things that will remain on Earth are cockroaches and Cliff Richard, that bugger sure wasn't hard to break up!

     
  • At 5:08 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Spent most of the last 24 hours hearing stories about cockroaches. One of my colleagues microwaved some food for 2 minutes on full power, opened the door, and out scuttled a cockroach, totally unscathed. Another said that their legs regenerate. Another explained that if you crush a female, its eggs scatter everywhere. Eeeeek!

     
  • At 4:20 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    colin the cockroach?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home