All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Friday, November 12, 2004

A Rose By Any Other Name

Since yesterday’s post about my new nickname, my friends have posted comments reminding me of my various nicknames over the years. I’m wondering whether anyone else has had as many nicknames as me?

Here’s a list, by no means comprehensive. I've tried to add a link to a picture, sometimes with hilarious consequences, of the supposed look-a-like in order for you to come to your own conclusions. This didn't take long - Google Image searches are very quick, and I've got a three day weekend before the "do you ever do any work" brigade strikes again:

Private Pile
After the character in Full Metal Jacket. I had a severe haircut and was overweight.
Hanks
After losing weight, I had a severe haircut, so comparisons were made between me and Forrest Gump and me and Hanks’ character in Saving Private Ryan.
Porch
Because my top lip allegedly sticks out so much it looks like the porch at the front of a house.
Smithers
This Simpsons character wears glasses and so do I. And, just because I’m a sensitive soul, friends somehow misread this as being a little on the camp side. His top lip also sticks out.
Gay Dad
Again, I’m a sensitive soul which friends misread as being a little on the camp, paternal side.
Superman
Clark Kent wears glasses and so do I.
Rod and Tod
These Simpsons characters are very sincere and have curly hair and so do I. Their top lips also stick out.
Pube Head
Work it out for yourself. School friends can be so cruel. And adult friends.
Canoe Foot
I have big feet.
Da Engine
I can run around a lot on the football pitch, but can’t do much else.
The Hooded Claw
I have a fairly prominent nose and chin, which one school photographer captured superbly. This character from Penelope Pitstop also had a prominent nose and chin.
Castrol
I used to wear hair gel. Everyone used to wear gel. But I was called Castrol after the popular engine oil, Castrol GTX. Unless this was just a Bristolian attempt to say “Castro”, and they were in fact likening me to Cuban leader Fidel Castro. I somehow doubt it. In case you’re not familiar with the Bristol dialect, there is a propensity to add an –l to any word ending in a vowel – hence, “idea” becomes “ideal” and “Monica” becomes “Monical”. You too can learn to speak Bristolian here.
Muga
My brother used to call me this when we were growing up. No idea how that started. Now a lot of people call me it. Although Bristolians call me "Mugal".
Harry Potter
I don’t understand this one.

There are many, many more, as I’m sure my esteemed friends will continue to point out.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:00 pm, Blogger Me said…

    That's another one! The Proclaimers! You reminded me of that one by accident...

     
  • At 8:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How many of the nicknames were thought up by my brother?
    Quite a lot I expect....
    Mind you he did look like Rodney Trotter when he had floppy hair and know alledgedly looks like the Liverpool goalie Dudek.

    iyers

     
  • At 8:19 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Yes, I think Shaggy's responsible for at least 3 or 4 of them...

     
  • At 10:44 am, Blogger Me said…

    So I did - forgotten why that one came about. It's "omitted".

     
  • At 8:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Darn my cover is blown....

    Yeah I do post on Gasheads.com

    You're Lewis on there then then I take it?!

    iyers

     

Post a Comment

<< Home