All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Sunday, November 07, 2004

55 Days Later

There are two public holidays coming up this week here in Singers.

The first is Deepavali on November 11th , the Hindu Festival of Lights, in which oil lamps are lit in homes to thank the gods for the happiness, knowledge, peace and wealth received in the year. There is also a “street light up” which takes place in the district of Little India.

The second is Hari Raya Puasa, the end of Ramadan - the month of fasting. Muslims give thanks by praying in mosques in the morning then partake in a feast. It’s a time of forgiveness and the strengthening of bonds within the community. Again, an area of Singers, predominantly inhabited by Malays, will be lit up in celebration.

A Muslim had the misfortune of sitting next to me on the plane on the way back from Sri Lanka. He was fasting. I ate my aromatic chicken stir fry as quickly as possible.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to this time of celebration, not least because I get two days off work.

I’m intending to go and have a look at the streets lit up, and try to understand a bit more about the culture I find myself living in. I’m not just here for the pub quizzes and the football, you see. Plus there’s no Champions League this week.

Which brings me on to my local supermarket. You wouldn’t believe my local supermarket.

I trundled around today with my headphones on, because they usually play awful canned music by Celine Dion. As I wandered through the vegetables, I could just about hear a familiar tune above the sound of my walkman. I removed my headphones.

Bing Crosby. White Christmas.

We’re 87 miles north of the equator.

I got to the checkout and the cashiers were wearing Santa hats.

It’s only November…

1 Comments:

  • At 9:47 pm, Blogger LB said…

    Three weeks ago I walked into my local Tesco to find their "seasonal aisle" filled on the left hand side with barbecues and charcoal, and the right hand side with Christmas crackers. There are only two seasons of the year now, you see, "outdoor eating" and "Christmas".

    and I heard "Sleigh Ride" in Next on Saturday. awful.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home