All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Collision Course

I’ve been toying with the idea of writing about the Singapore shopping experience for a while now. I finally became so irritated by it today that I had to get it out of my system.

I seem to spend a lot more time shopping here than I ever have in the past. This is mainly because I’m still trying to get my new home in order. So, just about every weekend, I head for Orchard Road, home to a hundred different towering malls. The trouble is, about a million other people do the same thing.

The thing that irritates me is that none of the other people walking the streets, negotiating the subways or browsing the merchandise seem to have any awareness whatsoever of the fact that there are other people who want to use the same streets, subways and shops. Awareness of own body space is nil. When someone’s walking just behind me or just to my side, I’m aware of it, and move accordingly. It seems like no one else on Orchard Road is blessed with this awareness. By the time I get home from one of these trips, I have to spend 10 minutes punching my pillow extremely hard to relieve the tension.

A number of scenarios recur. I’ll be walking in a straight line. Someone will be walking ahead of me. They’ll suddenly stop, in the middle of the packed street, to dig around in their bag for their phone. I slam the brakes on, just about avoiding a Charlie Chaplin collision in which I end up with their head in my mouth. They don’t even notice my hot breath down their neck, but carry on rummaging in their bag. I sidestep, tut loudly, and walk on shaking my head.

Next, I’ll be walking (in a straight line) just behind someone who’s going in the same direction. They’ll be a bit to the left of me. Suddenly, as I’m drawing level with them, they’ll veer wildly to the right, for seemingly absolutely no reason, forcing me to slam the brakes on to avoid bringing them down Danny Mills style. I stand there for a moment shaking my head before tutting loudly and moving on.

Today, in a mall, I was walking (in a straight line) towards a woman who was about 15 metres away. Despite the fact that there were hundreds of people around, she was looking in a shop window as she was walking, so didn’t know and clearly didn’t care what was ahead of her. I started to change my direction a little bit so that we wouldn’t collide. Unfortunately, she changed direction in the same way too, still looking in the shop window. By the time she was almost upon me I stopped. Only when she was treading on my toes did she jump, as if I’d poked her with a stick, seemingly dumbfounded by the fact that there was another human being in the shopping mall at the weekend. She had the nerve to tut, sidestep and move on whilst shaking her head.

I did the same thing myself.

Then there are the umbrellas. It was raining so hard today that the world looked misty and grey. But when it stopped, people kept their umbrellas up, seemingly with the sole intention of bashing me on the head with them. I found myself bobbing and weaving my head like a boxer avoiding punches. When I use an umbrella, I try to be aware of the fact that some people are a different height to me, so I raise it and lower it accordingly. But these shoppers seemed intent on trying to perform acupuncture on me. Without my consent.

And the elevators. I’ll be making my way (in a straight line) towards an elevator when, from out of nowhere, someone will nip in front of me, forcing me to slam the brakes on to avoid knocking them down the escalator head first… hang on, that’s actually quite tempting now I think of it… anyway, you know the rest, the tutting and the shaking of the head…

I must walk double the distance I need to on my visits to the shops. By the end of today’s shopping expedition, as well as feeling as if I’d been shadow boxing and had visited an acupuncturist, I also felt like I’d been to a barn dance, daintily “do-si-do”ing my way through the shoppers. Or like a court jester springing enthusiastically from one side of the street to the other, bells on stupid hat. Or like a lurching drunk, zigzagging uncontrollably and bouncing off shop windows.

By the end of today’s shopping experience, I gave up trying to avoid people and carried on walking in a straight line. I was like Richard Ashcroft in that Verve video – (was it Bitter Sweet Symphony?) where he walks down a street intentionally walking into people.

Oddly, I felt no need to punch my pillow on my triumphant return home today.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:50 pm, Blogger Bren Carlill said…

    Israelis are the same! It drives me NUTS! But now I have a rule. If someone is walking toward me and making absolutely no effort to move slightly out of my path (which, of course, is what I am doing) then I set my shoulder and slightly lean into them when we pass. Good stuff. Slightly childish, but these people just have to learn!!!

    Screw respecting cultural differences. If someone, as you say, can't be aware that there are other people on the street or road then they need to be trained.

     
  • At 11:02 am, Blogger Di Gallagher said…

    My personal pet peeve is when a group of people will walk side by side, shoulder to shoulder, taking complete ownership of the walkway. Usually young people. Usually with baggy pants hanging somewhere around their arses.
    At these moments I can feel the brain power in the space surrounding them fall into negative numbers. Collectivly, they have created a black hole.
    Feeding off each others insolence and arrogance; I want to put them over my knee and smack them (and would, but they'd enjoy it and I'd still go to jail).

     
  • At 5:43 pm, Blogger thomkat said…

    I always get amazed by out of town supermarkets. I mean, people usually drive to them, but when it comes to trolley driving, all knowledge of the highway code flies out the window. They approach the end of an aisle and shoot out without even looking if there's anyone approaching from the left or right. They block vital access points on every aisle except the dog food and washing powder one. The most annoying is the person who has a trolley sideways on and is scrutinising a product label on the opposite side of the aisle with one hand still on the trolley - thus blocking the entire passage. That's where my tutting and head-shaking comes in. The situation is getting worse now that 24 hours supermarkets have to restock continually, i.e. when there are shoppers in store, and they drag out these enormous trolleys laden with various jars, tins, whatever, to further block your way.

    I have many more gripes with supermarkets which briefly include:

    1. having (in some) to weigh own vegetables. Why? The checkout staff do it much quicker.
    2. the fact that I always pick the slowest check out person (everyone else just seems to know). End up focussing on the blee-eeep......blee-eeep....ble.....Zzzzzz
    3. Eggs - can never, ever find them. Have actually given up buying eggs in the supermarket now.
    4. people who pack all their bags neatly, arrange them in the trolley, give a chocolate bar to each of the kids to shut them up, THEN (and only then) open their handbag/reach for their wallet, and produce about a million "money-off coupons" which have to be put through. Aaaarrrggghhhh!

    Think I might just stop going.

    Am I going mad, or was there some talk a few years ago about pedestrian "lanes" on Oxford street? For more/less than 4mph? I remember nearly maiming a poor old lady on Oxford Circus simply because she happened to be the 100th person that day to have got in my way when I was rushing to buy a sandwich for lunch. I don’t know about road rage (actually I do) but I think “shopper’s rage” is a great contender for a new disorder. Bet it already exists.

    P.S. Nice one in the footie Joe

     
  • At 5:52 pm, Blogger thomkat said…

    Actaully, what Bat says is true. Remember hearing "Right, follow me" once in Piccadilly circus (it all seems to be London based doesn't it?). I swear to you now, the crowds literally opened to let him through, then slammed shut in front of me again. Had to kind of half jog, crawl, duck and dive to keep up.

     
  • At 7:42 pm, Blogger Me said…

    So almost all commenters agree that people getting in the way are a menace. Except Joe and Jonny. Hope you recover soon, Jonny. And well done Joe. Hope you had a nice chat.

    Di, I forgot to include a little section on those who straddle the entire pavement and refuse to make way for one person walking alone. I regularly find myself walking in ditches...

    Bat - seeing it as a video game might just enable me to get home without feeling enraged. Thanks for that.

    Thomkat - supermarkets are even worse here as the aisles are just wide enough for 2 trolleys max. As you can imagine, I try to go when they're quiet...

    And, Bren, I guess these comments show that people are the same everywhere. I've actually had the same experiences in Bristol, I just never went shopping there as much to get so enraged by it...

    Thanks for all the comments!

     
  • At 12:20 am, Blogger LB said…

    i have a pushchair.

    You will be astounded how many people have buggy-myopia which seems to blank this fact out from their line of vision, particularly if you are struggling to get through a door of any description.

    Old people, despite their "manners aren't what they used to be" are the WORST culprits. I was struggling to get into WH Smiths at the weekend and had just propped the door open before returning to the pushchair. As I set off to go through, these two batty old dears looked at me, and came through the door from the other side, tutting as they went. They didnt even thank me. It took a 15 year old lad to hold the door to let me through.

    As Ben Elton used to say, we should treat pedestrians like we treat other drivers. We should go up behind them when they are walking slowly and scream obscenities at them, exactly as we would if we were stuck behind someone going very slowly down the road...

     
  • At 5:21 pm, Blogger Teresa Bowman said…

    Old people are THE WORST when it comes to shopping-related aggression (trolley rage?). I can't count the number of times some old bat has rammed me with her trolley because I happened to be looking at the shelf she wanted to look at.

    When I lived in London (ten years ago) I actually used to enjoy walking, or rather dodging, down Oxford Street on a Saturday. Now, if I happen to be in London on a Saturday, I won't go near the place. Although the fact that I nearly got knocked down by a car there a couple of years ago probably has something to do with that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home