All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Final Countdown

My knee operation is one day away now. I’ve been avoiding writing about it because I’ve not really been thinking about it. Not too much, anyway.

It’s odd to think that my knee is in bad nick at the moment, but I can get about, bend it normally, kneel down, stand up and all that without much of a problem. I’ve even played football and basketball on it without realising that I shouldn’t have been. This time tomorrow, the operation to make it better will have finished and I’ll barely be able to move it at all.

That reminds me. Must cut my toenails while I still can.

The recovery’s going to be an interesting old process. Ella’s away, so I’ll be on my own. Solitude sometimes sends me a bit funny. Solitude plus painkillers will probably even things out a bit.

My doctor’s told me that I’ll need to rest for at least two weeks after the op. This means that I’ll need to find things to do while I sit with my leg up. Of course, there’s the World Cup, so I’m expecting to get into a routine of going to bed at about 5am, which is when the late kick-offs finish. There are still plenty of non-football hours to fill, though.

I’ve bought loads of CDs and DVDs to keep me entertained. While I’m writing about that, if you like American lo-fi noiseniks (whatever that means) then Sonic Youth’s new album, Rather Ripped, is a little gem. Listening to Rather Ripped brought back memories of listening to Daydream Nation when I was about 15. I was briefly transported back into my 15 year old self. I managed to escape.

The last Sonic Youth album I listened to was Dirty in 1992, which had some brilliant songs on it. Perhaps I need to buy the ten albums I've missed since then. Snow Patrol’s new album is possibly even better than the last one. Gnarls Barkley is also top notch, although I expect you’re all a bit sick of him in Britain.

There are loads of black and white films out on DVD here with Chinese subtitles for about the equivalent of one pound fifty. I’ve got a few Hitchcocks – I’m building up quite a collection now - and some famous films that I’ve never seen like “Brief Encounter”, “Goodbye Mr Chips” and the original “Mr Deeds Goes To Town”. I got a couple of Sherlock Holmes movies from the 1940s with Basil Rathbone playing Holmes too. Winner. I’ve also bought some more modern stuff that I’ve never seen like Scarface, Garden State, Chinatown and The Merchant of Venice with Pacino.

However, what with the football and the fact that I’ll be editing another film for work while I’m at home, I don’t think I’m going to have much time to watch many of them. I’m being sent some marking to do as well. Hurrah!

I’ll be writing a fair bit, I’d have thought, and I’ll probably do a video diary. That’ll be a laugh. I have about six books to read.

The furniture has been rearranged because of my lack of mobility. I’ve made lots of meals which I’ve frozen. The fridge has beer in it.

As you can see, I’m determined not to be idle. At least, not mentally. It’s all very well to make these plans, though, but various people who know people who know people who’ve had the same operation as me keep talking about pain and drowsiness and things. At the moment, though, I’m being positive. I’ll get loads done.

My first goal is to be home 24 hours later, which will enable me to watch the England v Sweden game which kicks off at 2am my time. Again, people who know about things like operations think I might not be able to wake up for it. They keep suggesting that I’ll be groggy and sleepy and tired and miserable. Which is how watching England makes me feel, actually, so I definitely have to get up. Two minuses equal a plus, right?

On Friday, my colleagues were asking me about the op. When I said it was taking place early evening, one of them made that sucking in of breath noise that mechanics always make when they open your car bonnet. I ignored it for as long as I could. She tutted and shook her head a couple of times.
“Alright, what?” I asked.
“Evening operations,” she said.
“What?”
“Tired surgeon… lower hygiene standards…”
Another colleague chipped in: “I’d get a marker pen and draw a big cross on the bad knee if I were you.”

It’ll be fine.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:29 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:41 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    Gnarls Barkley.....Craaaaaaazy. I have that album and I can't get past that track. In fact, I miss the first track to listen to it. It's everywhere here, and was when we were in South America....as well as that posh soldier idiot who goes by the name of Blunt, or the like.

    If Carl Cox could sing he would be Gnarls Barkley. Maybe he is Gnarls Barkley.

    5am you say. I wish the final games here would end then, when the sun is still halfway across the Pacific and nowhere near the horizon, and the dawn chorus hasn't even started. If they ended then here I would have watched a lot more. The final games start at 5am here, which means they finish at 7am. By then the early morning surfers are out there and the Mums are 'strolling' with their babies, and others are just doing exercise before work. It's an active time of day here and therefore difficult going to sleep.

    GOOD LUCK with the op though mate. I'm sure it'll be fine. Just so long as you can cook and clean for me and H while we assist you with you recovery.....

     
  • At 10:42 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    H says Sonic Youth are playing here, maybe when you are here.....

    Can your knee handle it?

     
  • At 6:29 am, Blogger Andy said…

    I've just downloaded and listened to the Gnarls Barkley album. It's rubbish. Almost as irritating as listening to Sonic Youth.

    Can't believe you've never seen scarface - classic. You'll probably recognise loads of samples from tunes. Chinatown is great too although not one of Polanski's best.

    Plus the World Cup

    Sounds like perfect timing to be an invalid for a couple of weeks.

     
  • At 2:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When I was on my back with my back and able to focus, I wrote in a note pad all the things I wanted to do as I gradually recovered resulting in satisfying ticks as the tasks were completed. The list lengthened according to my mobility and it included ordinary every day things and creative stuff too. The list continues as I found it a great way to keep focussed, especially as I had promised myself not to waste a precious moment of good health when it arrived. So ... have you got 'write that book/musical/song/screenplay' etc you've always wanted the time for written on your to do list?

    Wow, celebrations, toenails being cut once a month! Love ma x

     
  • At 8:03 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    Hang on a minute.....

    "I’ll probably do a video diary"

    So you are going to film yourself looking all disshelved during your recovery, sat on your sofa.

    That'll be a must-see! Can you bring it with you?

    Have you got a Big Brother'esque style sofa?

     
  • At 1:40 pm, Blogger Me said…

    It's nice to know that everyone's so concerned. Particularly nice to hear that so many people have been amused by discussing what might go wrong.

    Well it all went fine, so there.

    I'll be up for watching Sonic Youth if there are seats.

    Thanks to everybody else for their sincere messages of goodwill.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home