All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Time To Make Friends Begins

Opening ceremonies manage to be fervently nationalistic whilst also bizarrely functioning as a welcome to lots of foreigners. They play on national stereotypes and are camp, kitsch and carnivalesque. England, hosts of Euro 96, decided that a re-enactment of the legend of St George (you know, that English bloke who probably came from Palestine) slaying the dragon would be one way to sum up the host nation. In USA 94, Diana Ross ran onto the pitch and missed a penalty. I don’t know what that summed up about the USA, but it was very entertaining. The World Cup opening ceremony yesterday was a spectacle, to say the least. It finished with the amusing sight of Jackie Charlton, Ozzie Ardiles, Pele, Laurent Blanc et al trying to look like they were enjoying an awful terrace-pop anthem. In fact, I think Pele was enjoying it. I wanted another hour of it at least.

If an Englishman had been the creative director of that opening ceremony I wouldn’t have been surprised. It featured Germans in Lederhosen, braces and hats slapping their knees and ankles. It featured whips, fifteen feet in length, being cracked. It featured excited looking men waggling their midriffs which bore giant cowbells. It featured giant haystacks (no, not that Giant Haystacks). It featured a really terrible attempt at hip-hop (I think Peter Crouch featured in the dance troupe) and an even worse song, sung by an old man.

Let’s recap: leather, braces, hats, whips, hay (in giant stacks), bad pop music, bad fashion. Possibly the only thing missing from the Englishman’s national stereotype of a German was an empty sunlounger draped with a towel. I’ve never been to Germany, so always thought that these stereotypes were crude. It turns out that, in fact, it is precisely this image which Germany wants to project to the world.

The commentary usually makes the opening ceremony even better. Sadly, I don't get the BBC’s coverage here, and I miss it. Here in Singapore I’ve bought four dedicated World Cup football channels, which is the only way to see all the games. It only cost about three quid. But the BBC is free and has Motty. For the opening ceremony we had one of those commentators whose voice you recognise but you don’t know his name. Those sub-Tony Gubba types.

Still, at least it wasn't Barry Davies, the priggish bigot.

Anyway, the commentary during the ceremony and the opening game was shocking. “Red, green, yellow, black, white, any colour you can think of, it’s all here,” is how he started. You’d think, if you were commentating on the biggest event in football, you’d have prepared something more interesting to say than that.

There is a very cheesy motto for the tournament this year. Apparently, it’s “a time to make friends”. Hmmm. We’ll see when the knock-out phase starts.

As for the games: Germany and Costa Rica were rubbish, but provided a fair bit of entertainment and some great goals. Poland, I thought, looked like the best team in the group, despite losing 2-0. They were very unlucky, scoring a goal that was wrongly disallowed and hitting the post twice. Still, you make your own luck in this game, Brian. England can’t possibly lose to any of those four teams in the next round, though, surely? If we get there. Of course, I'm not writing off the Germans. If I did that I'd be at my peril.

I expect they'll overrun Poland anyway. Not for the first time.

Finally, I’m all set and fully chavved-up for England’s first match. Ella bought me the wristbands – my first concession to the bizarre fashion of wearing a cheap piece of plastic on the wrist. I like it. In fact, I’ve wanted one for ages, but felt too embarrassed to buy one at my age (all the kids have them at school, of course) and now I have two and the excuse that it was a gift. Brilliant.

The bottle cooler was a gift from a colleague, who was in England last week. It came with the following packaging. You can tell that the target market for this product in England is expected to need a little bit of help in working out how to use it and also needs to keep the packaging in case they forget what the product is for.

13 Comments:

  • At 6:35 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    I knew you would do a cracking blog on yesterdays events. Nice one.

    I am also missing the BBC coverage. I thought I could get round the back door, so to speak, and listen to 5 Live on the internet. Also not. Something to do with broadcasting rights. I mean for f's sake!! Isn't the whole world watching the tournament anyway with many different channels broadcasting the coverage. Something about making friends you say?

    I have blanket coverage from SBS which is good enough but it isn't Lineker and Hansen. And thankfully I have Martin Tyler, although all on his lonesome, which gets a bit painful at times. I would have watched it on mute if I had to listen to Barry Davies.

    The Opening Ceremony didn't surprise me at all although I'd have preferred it more if Claudia walked out in the buff. As for the stereotypes, you forgot to mention hairy armpits but I expect there were plenty of them around. I didn't notice that Claudia had any though.

     
  • At 6:47 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    This is the kind of thing I miss, as you do Mike.

    "I'm really excited, so much so that I think I need to calm down a bit."
    BBC analyst Ian Wright outside the stadium in Frankfurt

    and

    "I love goals"
    BBC analyst Alan Shearer

    Genius!

     
  • At 7:17 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    Yes - the system has been beaten.

    I can watch the BBC coverage via a webcam live from my brother's house in Norway.

    The picture isn't the best (and I'll obviously be watching the games in the pub or on my own TV) but it will be perfect for half-time analysis and all those classic BBC comments (if I am not in the pub, obviously).

    Mike - if you want me to point my webcam at my screen, so you can then see a TV in Norway, it could work.....

     
  • At 10:58 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:59 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    And.....

    Mark Lawrenson (during the England game):

    "Robinson looks like a big banana"

    Class.

    Where did he get those black gloves from?

     
  • At 2:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Careful, you're getting to sound like your Father. I couldn't have described Brian Davies any better (well I could, but not in company!?). I actually listened to the BBC commentary for most of the time and if I'd realised how important it was for you,I'd have noted it verbatim, but Motty's opening comment after the National Anthems (which I didn't hear but if the same as yesterday thank goodness there are no singers this time) was along the lines of "well if you didn't know this was the World Cup, you do now". Totally irrelevent to anything to do with the game, and he didn't change from that opening moment!! I'd say more but my dinner's just been put on the table.Pa

     
  • At 9:34 am, Blogger Me said…

    Thanks Jonny - I can't get 5 Live either. Annoying, isn't it?

    I'm not sure I miss Ian Wright, though. He's just annoying. Settle down, man!

    Lineker's a good lad, though. I still don't know how he got away with referring to Ronaldo as "the only man who can eat an apple through a tennis racquet" at the last World Cup.

    And Pa - I hear what you're saying about Motty. But he's Motty, so he kind of gets away with it.

     
  • At 11:31 am, Blogger Jonny said…

    Yeah Mike, 5 Live would be great.

    For the England game the Aussie coverage went live into the stadium just as the teams were about to come out. I was shouting at the TV for the host to shut up and stop his incessant rambling and let me listen to the atmosphere in the stadium. Thankfully my webcam feed via Norway helped satisfy my build-up craving.

     
  • At 10:11 pm, Blogger Andy said…

    Thanks for that Mike. Chew and I missed the opening ceremony as we were still on the Autobahn doing 190kph (top speed) in our hired Seat Altea (and then queueing to get into Frankfurt).

    I now feel like I witnessed it (although I suppose I could have guessed!)

     
  • At 3:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've always secretly wanted a wrist band too ... did you ever get me one from your school? MA x Awesome word verification swrfqil -good name for a band!

     
  • At 6:07 pm, Blogger Me said…

    I did get the wrist band - it's on my chest of drawers. It was a child's one, though, as that was all they had left.

    Sorry. I'll try to remember to bring it back with me.

    Andy - top speed doesn't impress me. Sensible driving speeds do.

     
  • At 5:48 am, Blogger LB said…

    glad it's not just me that hates "jack of all trades and master of none" Barry "ooooooooooooooh" Davies...

     
  • At 12:26 am, Blogger Me said…

    No, I think it's pretty much universal, LB.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home