All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Ug Ug



Longsuffering readers may remember me writing about the frustration I feel when I walk through the streets because other people don’t look where they’re going. They have no awareness of their own body space. I wrote about it way back in November 2004 and it provoked a comments frenzy (14 comments!) the like of which I rarely see these days as everyone’s stopped reading or something. Still, I’ll bat on. People are still getting under my feet and it still makes me feel edgy.

Imagine my surprise: recently I’ve discovered that the situation is just as bad now I’m on crutches. I’ve gone from feeling edgy to murderous, though. On the 4 occasions I’ve been back to my doctor, I’ve had to go through the entrance and exit doors 8 times (4x2=8, you see). Only once has someone held the door open for me. Sometimes people go through the door without looking behind them, so they didn’t know I was coming. This is almost excusable, but still thoughtless. Surely looking round to see if someone else is coming through the door is one of the first things we’re taught about manners?

Worse still are the occasions when people are going through the doors and look around and see me approaching on my crutches. You can almost see them running through the calculations in their minds. “Man with crutches five paces away. He’ll take about three seconds to get here. I can’t wait that long. Besides, by the time he’s got the door open on his own, I’ll be too far away for him to catch me up and hit me for being such an ignorant Neanderthal.”

Last time it happened I shouted something at the person anyway, even though they were too far away to hear. The receptionist no doubt thought that I had an appointment with the Tourette’s Syndrome clinic.

Walking along the street is just as bad. Astonishingly, people don’t give me any room. They keep walking in a straight line, expecting me to get out of their way. What’s even more astonishing is that these people who seem determined to walk into me, or force me to change direction, are staring at me. They stare because I’m on crutches, I suppose, and they’re trying to work out why. Despite the fact that they’re looking at my legs and the crutches, they don’t change their course.

Neither do I. I think a few people have some nasty bruises on their shins from my flailing crutches already.

Ella says I’d make a very good grumpy old man. I can manage on just one crutch for short distances now and I want a walking stick instead.

10 Comments:

  • At 10:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI!!!
    hope you get well,Wish you all the best
    zingtrial
    http://zingtrial.wordpress.com/

     
  • At 11:54 am, Blogger Jonny said…

    Is that Spam?

     
  • At 12:01 pm, Blogger Me said…

    No, I don't think so. Just someone who stumbled here and then put a comment on, I think. I had a brief browse of their blog earlier and I'll pop back later.

    Three comments already - might make it to 14 again!

     
  • At 2:52 am, Blogger Andy said…

    When someone is walking towards you staring, why not raise one of your crutches in the air in a pointing/stabbing motion, while staring back at them. They'll soon move...

     
  • At 3:40 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So... never mind the crutches, what happens with motorised wheelchairs? Does one leap out of the way of them, knowing they are going at a steady rate in a straight line, or ... what? Baby buggy pushers can be the world's worst with an invisible 'right of way' sign even though they have got brakes! Every sympathy, Ma x

     
  • At 8:27 am, Blogger Me said…

    Andy - you'd be amazed, but that doesn't work. They just keep staring at the crutch/leg as if it's in a 4th dimension or something, and only realise that it is, in fact, real, when it's wrapped around their shins.

    Ma, I think that everyone with something extra like a buggy or even someone carrying some groceries should be given right of way. It's easier to move out of the way if you're not carrying or pushing anything, and it's only polite and helpful, innit?

     
  • At 8:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I were you I'd fall over theatrically clutching your knee as if badly injured the next time someone walks into you.

    Cris.

     
  • At 9:03 pm, Blogger Me said…

    H - Tourists are too busy looking around, I suppose, to pay attention to where they're going. But I still reckon it's easier to get out of the way if you've not got a buggy than if you have.

    Fight you about it tomorrow.

    Cath - Your bump is rather eye-catching. Can I push your baby around when I visit? I promise not to deliberately wheel it into people.

    Much.

    Cris - Thanks for the comment. I'm your biggest fan. I mean only fan.

     
  • At 2:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mike, your Pa sent on an email an extract from The Guardian about a woman driving a tricycle with a buggy attached to the rear on the pavement. I wanted your Pa to put that article on your blog to make it count towards 14 comments, so this is a comment to help! Ma

     
  • At 2:01 am, Blogger Andy said…

    Very nearly...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home