All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Back In Action

I went back to the doctor yesterday.
“I’m going to take your stitches out today. How are you with pain?” he asked, casually. “Er… not brilliant,” I replied limply.
“Well, you’ve got a choice between a shot of Glenfiddich, or you could clamp my hockey stick between your teeth.”
“Er… I’ll be ok…” I replied.

He removed the stitches and I didn’t feel a thing. What a swine.

Here are the latest photos of my knee, in case you're interested.





You can see that it’s considerably smaller than it was here. I asked the doctor what each hole was for. The biggest gash at the bottom is where he went in to pull the hamstring out. I was surprised that he went in at the front because I thought hamstrings were at the back, but there you go. I’m sure he knew what he was doing. This was also where he drilled up through the bone to get up to the ligament area.

Nice.

One of the two smaller scars is where he inserted the arthroscope so that he could see what he was doing. The other smaller scar was made to help him connect the new ligament. To pull it through and stuff.

He told me I could go back to work today, so I did. It’s funny, isn’t it, how one day you can spend the day avoiding walking as much as possible, lying down with your knee up and on ice, whereas the next you’re back at work fending off paper aeroplanes and saying, “Bueller… Buelller… Bueller…”

It went ok. I was on crutches, of course, and that immediately meant that lots of people asked me what was wrong or how I was. This meant that every time I got up to go somewhere, I had to stay on my feet for longer than I would have liked. As a result, by the end of the day my bruise had bizarrely slipped down to my foot. Despite all this, it was nice to get out of the house.

5 Comments:

  • At 4:04 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    I'm glad is going well on your road to recovery, although I'm somewhat miffed why you chose to go back to work before the World Cup ends (maybe it's to do with clearing your workload before term ends and you come and see us..am I right?).

    See you next week then? Don't worry, we won't make you do anything too active.

     
  • At 7:18 pm, Blogger Me said…

    No, I went back to work because the doctor said I could. Once the medical certificates run out, so does the sick leave. Anyway, I got up at 3am for the brilliant semi yesterday and will be doing the same tonight. So I won't miss a thing.

    I'll get up a bit earlier tonight, though, as I missed the anthems last night. Some good ones tonight.

     
  • At 1:17 am, Blogger Andy said…

    Hmm, don't want to worry you, but it looks like they might have accidentally removed your knee-cap during the operation.

     
  • At 3:20 am, Blogger Me said…

    I was worried about that too, but it finally re-emerged for the first time yesterday.

     
  • At 5:40 am, Blogger Jonny said…

    Glad to hear it is finally regaining it's natural shape.

    I too thought your hamstring was at the back of your leg. Not sure why they go in at the front of the leg to get to it but I'm sure they know best.

    Good skills for not missing a thing. I slept through the anthems and the first half of the Portugal/France game. My alarm did go off but I re-set it for the second half. I was just too tired to move into the next room and lie on the sofa. I've been working you know!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home