All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Operation: Out Of Hospital

The day after the operation, I was taken in a wheelchair to the Physio department to “learn how to use crutches”.

I now know how to use crutches.

After being taught how to use crutches, I was asked whether I wanted to buy any crutches. I wasn’t really sure what to say to this. The conversation went something like this:
“Would you like to buy some crutches, Mr Michael?”
“Er… what?”
“Some crutches.”
“Well… either that or I can borrow some or something.”
“We don’t have any for hire for hygiene reasons.”
“OK. I assume I need crutches?” I asked.
“You don’t already own any crutches, Mr Michael?”
“Er… no… but I do need them?” I reiterated.
“Oh yes, you won’t be able to walk without crutches for about three weeks.”
“I think I’ll buy some crutches.”

I bought some crutches.

I take part in this kind of pointless, cyclical conversation frequently in Singapore. I don’t quite understand the pragmatics of conversation here, I don’t think, and mine aren’t understood either.

Being wheeled around was quite strange. At every corner I would flinch in case someone was coming around the corner in the opposite direction. My bad leg was sticking out so would have been the first point of contact. Fortunately, there were no collisions. However, on each of the three occasions that my physiotherapist wheeled me somewhere, she banged my foot against a wall.

Back in my room I was desperate to get some sleep during the afternoon so that I wouldn’t miss the football that night. However, the bloke in the next bed was sleeping and, no matter much I turned up my MP3 player and no matter how many times I clapped my hands loudly or cleared my throat violently, I couldn’t wake him up. His snore was a deep, cartoon growl which shook my book as it lay in my hands. I even tried shouting indiscriminate noises as a last resort, but nothing would stop the guttural rumblings. Eventually I did the only thing I could: I asked, sheepishly, to be moved.

My new room was eerily silent and I was unable to sleep.

The England v Sweden match kicked off at 3am Singapore time. As soon as Michael Owen went down, I thought to myself, “that looks familiar.” Indeed, the poor chap now has exactly the same injury I’ve just had repaired. As you can imagine, every time they showed it I turned away from the screen. They kept showing it, though. Worse still, the stupid commentator we have here had a Peter Crouch quip ready. As Crouch came on (all six feet seven of him) he said: “And it’s Crouching tiger, hidden Owen!”

Buffoon.

I’m going to race Michael Owen back to fitness, anyway. Look out for me in the Boxing Day fixtures.

England played well in the first half, but then it fell apart again. I wasn’t at my supportive best, though: I was still a bit groggy. When our second goal went in I was surprised that I hadn’t immediately gone “Yes!” and everything, like I usually do. I had to persuade myself that it was worth the effort, and finally managed to punch the air in delight and utter the affirmative word just after Sweden had restarted the game. Despite my recent criticism of Roger Hargreaves, I thought he was probably our best player apart from Joe Cole. I’m hoping we play against Argentina at some point just so that Roger Hargreaves can meet up with Mr Messi.

Sorry.

Anyway, after the game I probably got some sleep. After all, I was going home the next day. I needed to keep my strength up.

I was let out the next morning after another painful wheelchair journey courtesy of my physiotherapist. This morning she had some advice for me: "Don't kick anything," she said. I joked that it was lucky she had told me that because otherwise I'd have gone home and started playing headers and volleys. Rather sternly she told me that doing this would slow down my recovery.

Before I was discharged, I also had time to browse some magazines which had a sticker on them which said, “Please do not remove (for reading purposes only).”

It was good to be home. But a little bit scary too. Suddenly, I was all on my own.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks Mike, much laughing out loud at home. Much appreciated. It's not only football that need you, the cricket team are in dire injury trouble too, so no doubt Trescothic will be mentioning your name any moment. Ma x

     
  • At 6:43 am, Blogger Andy said…

    Great blogging mate, and I do hope you beat Owen back to fitness.

    Reckon you'll be ready for a kick-about in August?

     
  • At 9:58 am, Blogger Jonny said…

    Mike - unlucky with the snorer. Next time try shining a torch in their eyes or firing a water pistol at them. That will do the trick (assuming you have a torch or a water pistol on you, of course).

    Can't wait for the next installment. I notice on CUAS their was some rather clever, and amusing, video footage posted. Maybe you can do the same thing with your video diary?

    Good luck in solitary.

    Are you gonna be on crutches when you get here?

     
  • At 11:02 am, Blogger Me said…

    Thanks Ma - I don't think I've ever told my Trescothic story on this blog, have I? I think most of my readers have heard it forty or fifty times, though.

    Andy - August is pushing it a bit, I think. I somehow reckon Owen will beat me. He's probably got one of those oxygen tents or something.

    Jonny - Although the video diary seemed like a good idea before the operation, and I even recorded some hilarious "before the operation" footage, it stopped being such an amusing idea when I couldn't walk without wincing. I kind of feel like it's too late to start now.

     
  • At 10:35 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    What's the Trescothic story?

    Shame about the video diary, but I'd like to see what you have done so far, especially if it is hilarious. Can you bring it to Oz with you?

     
  • At 10:55 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Jonny - it's not really hilarious footage, I'm afraid...

    The Trescothwick story: when I played cricket for Stapleton Village Under 17s, Tresco was playing for Keynsham Under 17s. He was already quite well-known - always top scorer every season and playing for the county etc - so when he came into bat, I knew who he was. He battered my awful bowling all over the place.

    But then I got him out.

    Yes, that's right, I got Marcus Trescothwick out.

    It would've been another six, of course, if the fielder hadn't caught it. But, nonetheless, I got one of the best batsmen in the world out.

    I don't want to gloat or anything. I only told the story because of the pressure you put on me.

     
  • At 1:28 am, Blogger Jonny said…

    That's fantastic mate. I'm impressed. Really, really impressed.

    I'm surpised you haven't blogged it already. It would've been the perfect accompaniment to the Ashes..maybe it can wait until later this year.

    Well done again. Your Ma and Pa must be proud.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home