All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Marking Time

You may remember that I wrote about Markolepsy fairly recently; a term that I coined to describe a condition suffered by English teachers. In a nutshell, marking is extremely soporific, so we fall asleep mid-essay, which results in us marking essays with blotted ink and droplets of sleep-induced saliva rather than ticks, “sp” and “punc”.

I’ve spent a few hours marking this weekend in various states of consciousness. In between bouts of marking and sleeping, I’ve thought of another argument against those people who say that teachers aren’t allowed to complain about teaching because of all the holidays they get.

I get this all the time, you see. Whenever I tell anyone that I'm a teacher, the first thing they comment on is the holidays, usually with an expression of poorly disguised jealous hatred on their face.

Now, I agree that teachers of subjects like Maths should get less holiday time. After all, each question in their subject has only one correct answer and they don’t have to do any reading when they mark. I agree that teachers of PE don’t deserve their long holidays. Their subject has no answers at all and no writing whatsoever. Standing around in a field all day shouting, "Point that elbow!" or "Run, boy, run!" is hardly work, is it? I also think that Geography teachers should have their holidays reduced because all they have to mark is how effectively maps of Brazil have been coloured in.

English teachers stand alone (which either sounds like the title of Morrissey’s next single or a Labour party slogan) because we have to read so much stuff. This means we do more work than teachers of other subjects. It’s obvious, isn’t it?

There’s more to it than that, though. It’s not just reading. I enjoy reading, after all. But can you imagine reading 30 pretty much identical essays in a row? Correcting the same errors? Making sure that the comment at the end of each piece of work is different in case they compare them, even though they don’t pay any attention to them anyway, because if they did I wouldn’t be correcting the same errors in every piece of work?

English teachers are actually working on negative time. To put it another way, it feels like it takes longer than it actually takes to do marking. The gears of the universe creak and strain when I pick up the red pen. The machinery of time starts to work in reverse as I tick and underline. It doesn't start immediately, either, because I always start off fresh. If it takes three minutes to mark the first two-page essay in the pile, then I’m probably down to two and a half minutes by the fifth as I get into a rhythm. However, once I get past this, I become so horrendously bored that each two and a half minutes feels like twice as long as it actually is. Once I get to the tenth essay (assuming I’m still awake), even though I’ve only been marking for 27 and a half minutes, it feels like 40. The trend continues exponentially.

The experience of marking reminds me of Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, in which a priest describes eternity as being like a seagull flying for decades to a beach where it picks up a solitary grain of sand and carries it back, which also takes it decades. Eternity ends when the beach is empty of sand.

This also describes the experience of reading Joyce, too.

So, English teachers actually lose, and are owed, time. Particularly when on a marking marathon like the one I’ve been on this weekend. According to my calculations, I’ve been marking for 36 out of the last 24 hours this weekend. And in my seven year “career” so far, I should now be enjoying my second retirement.

NB No calculations were actually calculated.

Here's a photo of the pile this weekend. As you can see, it's almost the size of a CD:

10 Comments:

  • At 7:17 pm, Blogger Andy said…

    My suggestion...

    Stop ya moaning! By the time you get that pile of marking done it will probably be time for another holiday. Where will it be next time then? If you liked Bali, those pictures looked remarkably similar to Vietnam. Oh wait, you've already been!

     
  • At 9:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was wondering why u became an english teacher instead of maths, then I saw your calculations, ;)

    Its funny how the eternal student is ridiculing you for having too many holidays.

     
  • At 6:31 am, Blogger Jonny said…

    And what about Science teachers then? We have essays to mark as well, although admittedly asking 30 11 year old to describe what happens during sexual reproduction can be highly amusing.

    I know what you mean about the whole holiday thing...I spent my holidays marking, lesson planning or report writing. Mind you, I used the five template method. Write five different reports and give one of them to each of the kids. If there´s 30 in a class (ok, not in a posh skool like yours) you can divvy them up so the kids don´t compare. Actually, that´s a lie...I got caught out once but I told the kids in question that they were of the same ability. And I was leaving to go to Australia so what did I care? It seemed to work. Oh yeah, Science teachers also have to plan two weeks in advance so as to avoid pissing off prehistoric lab techs...and if you go sick, and have a cover teacher, that´s it, your plan is fecked. That´s why Science teacher´s should have lots and lots of holiday. And the fact that kids burn and drown each other during your lessons. And deal drugs (in my case).

    Otherwise, keep up the marking. I am sure you are doing a terrific job.

    And use green pen.

    And a dinasur stamp. For the youngúns obviously.

     
  • At 5:52 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Thanks for the tips H. Done most of those already.

    Em - thanks for getting back at Andy with that before I did. Perpetual students are even easier targets than teachers, aren't they? Cos they get the holidays without any of the work.

    And Jonny - you have a lot to say about teaching for someone who bottled it after a year...
    And that green pen thing is just stupid, isn't it? What does it matter what colour pen we use? They ignore the comments whatever the colour.

     
  • At 11:15 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    Haha, I bottled it and have never looked back...and look where it has got me....AUSTRALIA!!

    Well, it will do on Tuesday when we arrive.

    Yep, agree wth what you say about the pen. Have you tried marking left handed? That may releive the boredom.

     
  • At 6:22 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Cracking idea, Joe. Although the reason why I wrote on this the other week was because I was procrastinating when I should've been marking.

    Now I've got even more marking, so I haven't even got time for procrastination.

     
  • At 6:44 pm, Blogger LB said…

    why don't you make it your mission to includea 1980's footballer in your comments on each of the essays?

    or, you could come up with some daft da Vinci code thing like that judge did when he wrote up the Dan Brown verdict.

    no?

    oh.

     
  • At 10:30 pm, Blogger The Dog of Freetown said…

    All my teachers spent most of their time moaning about their pay and working conditions. My careers advisor, a German teacher, asked me what I wanted to be. I said "singer-songwriter". She said that wasn't practical. I said I didn't know what else then. She said "why not become a teacher". I said I didn't want to. She said "well neither did I." It will always stay with me.

    I think teaching is actually an incredibly difficult job in a very different category all of its own, and I think teachers should be given holidays and other incentives to teach, because otherwise who would? Teaching isn't data entry or admin or tutoring - it's all of these things as well as social work, psychiatry and crowd-control. I put it up there with torture.

     
  • At 12:11 am, Blogger Me said…

    Thanks for your sympathy, Kieran! I've met very few teachers who actually wanted to be teachers, which says a lot. It's not quite as bad as torture, though. Not quite...

     
  • At 5:12 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    why don't you work as many song titles into your comments as possible and then score them for age and originality.. You could ask a science or maths teacher to sort you out some kind of scoring system. "Dazed and confused" could score you 5 out of 10 for age and cult significance "I love you but you're boring" would score higher.. say an 8 for it's sheer daring!

    This would probably make the marking take longer but might make it more fun?

    On the other hand you could use the experience of marking your students work as an opportunity to learn more about them so as to be able to help them to learn more, and in doing so, perhaps you may learn more about yourself?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home