All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Fear In Bali 1

Went to some beautiful temples, including one which is also a monkey sanctuary. As well as being tame, these monkeys could also be aggressive, apparently, and according to the publicity info, we should avoid being scratched or bitten at all costs.

Rather confusingly, we were asked to buy bananas to give to these monkeys that we were supposed to be avoiding. The logic was that by throwing bananas at them we could keep them away from us.

I also read that not having bananas for the monkeys makes them aggressive. Feed me or else is their maxim, it seemed.

We bought some bananas.

Being scared of things that are likely to bite me, I wanted to get through the sanctuary as quickly as possible. Every time a monkey approached, I’d throw a banana at it, which it would peel and eat. By the time it had finished, I had scarpered.

One monkey approached me from the front, blocking my path. I had two bananas left, but resourcefully threw one to my left for it to go and get while I kept walking, hoping to leave it in my wake. However, it grabbed the banana, unpeeled it and started eating it whilst chasing me at the same time. There was no way I was going to run and I also knew I couldn’t out-walk a monkey. It caught up with me and started tugging at the bottom of my shorts. This made Ella laugh uproariously. When I asked her what was so funny afterwards, she said it was because I looked so scared.

I threw my last banana at it. From then on, all the monkeys left me alone because I didn’t have any bananas left.

I saw nothing of the temple because I was too busy looking out for monkeys.


This photo is blurred because I was already scarpering.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's nothing, I had one climb on me an piss on my T-Shirt

    Barry

     
  • At 6:47 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Hello Barry!

    Yes, I realise that nothing happened. The older I get, the more afraid I am of everything, even things that aren't scary. And that's what I was trying to convey, I think.

    My wuss-ness.

    Were you scared?

     
  • At 12:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha. Not belittling your experience Mike, I fully agree. I was scared too and in addition to that mildly embarrased that I had to walk around for the rest of the day drenched in monkey piss.

    Someone was telling me the other day about going on a school trip to the zoo and all the kids being warned not to put their fingers near the monkey cage, of course one child left without the end of his finger.

    I think the lesson to be learned is keep away from monkeys.

     
  • At 2:33 am, Blogger -L said…

    Wow, that is a crazy monkey story! Sounds like they are quite cheeky lil critters!

    Your Bali photos are STUNNING! Very colorful indeed. How did you snap the shot of the 3 children?

     
  • At 1:19 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Hi Leah

    Lots of kids we encountered ran up to us shouting, "Hello photo!" so we took their pictures and showed them. These three were a bit less smily than some of the others!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home