All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Monologuing

Following my last post about my encounter with a noisy man on an aeroplane, and my coining of the term "monologuer" to describe his conversational selfishness, I've started to develop the theory.

Before I expound, I should explain that I might be slightly jealous of monologuers. You see, I’m quite a quiet chap and usually try to express my opinion in two sentences or less (in spontaneous conversation with strangers especially). Less is more for me, largely because I don't want to invade the other person's temporal space. However, maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. Maybe, instead of trying to change monologuers, I should first give monologuing a good try myself.

In order to try monologuing, I needed to come up with a series of rules. If monologuers exist, there must be trends, or qualities, that characterise their behaviour. So here are a list of the rules of selfish conversationalism which I'm going to try at some point in the near future when I'm talking to a stranger in a public place. At present I have no hard evidence to back up these rules, but I do have a lifetime of experience of being on the receiving end of these techniques.

1. Monologuers want as many people as possible to hear their conversation.

2. Monologuers have a complete inability to detect signs of boredom in others.

3. All questions asked by the monologuer will be answered, not by the listener, but by the monologuer himself.

4. The monologuer frequently talks about and gives opinions about topics which he freely admits he knows nothing about.

5. The monologuer often denies feelings of hostility towards a group of people before expressing a hostile opinion about that group of people. For example, “I’ve got nothing against gays, but…” or “I’m not racist, but…”.

6. Monologuers have a well-established set of catchphrases which they use to cement their arguments. For example, “All I know is I had more money in my pocket under the Tories”.

7. The conversation of a monologuer is peppered with references to his own bravado, or his ability to find loopholes, or his ability to win battles, whether they’re physical or mental.

8. If from England, the monologuer will think that the country has gone to the dogs, but will also insist that foreign countries should be more like England.

9. Monologuers’ opinions are entirely those of other people that they digest and then spew. The opinions come from places like the pub, or from tea break at work, or from The Sun. This means that their opinion today is unlikely to still be their opinion tomorrow.

10. Repetition is a key tool of monologuers. Monologuers often say the same thing more than once, but they might change it slightly each time they say it. If they’ve already said it, chances are they’ll say it again.

Any more?

7 Comments:

  • At 2:53 am, Blogger -L said…

    LOL, that is a brilliant list! I could not agree more...

    I find myself in conversation with monologuers far too often. Not pleasant experiences.

    I'll try to come up with more monologuer rules this afternoon at work...but I think you have covered the major points rather well!

     
  • At 3:03 am, Blogger -L said…

    It's such a shame that monologuers don't prey on each other...only on us unsuspecting victims!

    My mom is a monologuer...god, it's terrible to leave home with her and her god-awful, conversational ways...

     
  • At 3:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    11. Never come to the end of a sentence - always use 'and' so any 'listener' doesn't get a chance to get a word in.

    12. Interrupt the other's attempt at a sentence, so they never finish what they were going to say, this wears them down quickly to the required silence.

    13. The golden rule is to practise at home with your loved ones and friends.

    With huge apologies from your Ma x

     
  • At 4:26 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    I'm a ranter. We're better informed and more often right!

    ST

     
  • At 8:04 am, Blogger Andy said…

    The only thing I could add is that Monologuers will undoubtedly have a few stories from their past to highlight their bravery, strength or wit. Of course in reality they will be made-up stories heard down the pub and embellished.

    I was once unfortunate enough to be stuck in a room with two monologuers while they compared their stories. Each interjection began with "I've got one for you" or "how about this one then?" Pretty soon they were locked in a battle of bravado unleashing ever-more impressive stories.

    I, of course, sat quietly nodding looking suitably impressed at relevant intervals, but I couldn't help wondering why they didn't just start with the most impressive stories.

    Anyway, great word! If enough people start using it then in three years they'll have to put it in the dictionary. Could be a nice claim to fame for an English teacher...

     
  • At 2:30 pm, Blogger Jonny said…

    I'll read this blog later.

     
  • At 4:21 am, Blogger Jonny said…

    I have nothing new to add.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home