All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Sting Ray, Dragon Fruit and Cheesy Socks

He's right, it is alright here!!

Jonny and H here and we are with Mikey and Ella in a stinking hot Singapore. And it is all good. I have Mike watching me type this over my left shoulder so I am under pressure from the literary genius.

So what have we done since we arrived? LOADS... Went to Raffles last night and had the Sling, went to a hawkers market and ate Sting Ray. And today, after a breakfast of Dragon fruit (well, one slice) we went to the Botanical Gardens (for Laksa and a walk to see the terrapins - H and Ella met Russel). From there it was to Chinatown where I came across the infamous Durian fruit, which is banned on public transport. So I had to have some. And it was true - just like Michael Palin said, it does taste of cheesy socks. Quite probably the must disgusting thing I have ever tasted. But I'm glad I did it. I also picked up a snow globe - so I will now have 25 on my desk at work. And then we did a river cruise at sunset before eating Thai on Boat Quay.

Tomorrow we will go up the Equinox tower (70 storeys up, top view) and then to Little India. And I expect there will be loads of other things to do.

It's great here, and damn hot. It's 11.25pm and the sweat is dripping onto the keyboard so I had best stop.

Pictures below - comment as you see fit. On Monday we are off to Perth to validate our visas, then Sydney. Our new life began on Thursday when we flew from Heathrow.....and its bloody good so far. Cheers Mike and Ella.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jonny, Mike's ma here. Amazing isn't it how one drips with sweat so easily there?! Everything's cheesey I see - good job shoes are ritually left outside then or there'd be real trouble! Glad you are enjoying similar experiences to us and loving it though I preferred looking at the 'Durians' (concert halls) to actually savouring one. See if Ella can find you a custard apple - amazing! Isn't it excellent that Mike's up and running on the blog again - just as well I didn't have a go at putting anything on eh?!

     
  • At 1:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow sounds great (Mike I can't believe you actually let him post on your blog!)

    I'm guessing Russel is a terrapin, not sure about 'Laksa'(?), and I used to sell Stingray on the fish counter at Sainsbury's, Filton.

    Still glad you're enjoying yourselves...and you'll be pleased to hear your plants are doing well - they survived a weekend of clear skies and 29c (Go Bristol! Singapore Shmingapore).

    Enjoy Oz. Especially those chilly days in Sydney...

     
  • At 9:30 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Sadly we didn't do a custard apple.

    Anyway, "Russel" is actually Jonny's word for someone looking at bushes for a long time - it's based on "rustle", you see. I should've taken more editorial control in order to ensure that everyone knew what he was talking about and he wasn't just writing to himself. Never mind.

    You see, H and Ella spent about 15 minutes looking at some ants walking through some bushes. As Jonny and I suggested when they eventually joined us, you get ants in England. Apparently, they were "really big".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home