All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Home And Vietnam

Can't quite believe people are still visiting. Thanks for your recent comments, Andy and Joe. I was toying with the idea of removing the blog from the web, but didn't get round to it. It's quite hard work doing this regularly and once you get out of the habit, it's hard to get back into it again.

I've come to the conclusion that teaching is pretty dire wherever you do it. I'm asking myself whether the long holidays are enough recompense for the miserable life for the other 3/4 of the year. I expect non-teachers will find that last sentence intensely irritating.

Sorry.

I actually like teaching itself, but so much time is taken up by stupid pointless admin nonsense that I actually spend less time teaching than I do everything else.

It'll be better next year. That's my annual mantra. It's never true.

Anyway, that's enough miserablism. I'm back to Blighty soon for about 4 weeks and I'm in a state of rabid anticipation. Ever since I booked my flight back, I've missed the old place. It's the oldest place in the world, you know. It's where all the history comes from. Of course, I've missed lots of people the entire year, but it's only since I booked my flight that I really missed the place. I like the idea of snuggling into a warm jumper and a pac-a-mac on a lukewarm July morning. I had a little taster of this when I went to Hong Kong - it was so cold I had to wear a hoodie. I hadn't worn one for about 8 months and I used to live in one, so the pleasure was indescribable.

What else am I looking forward to?

  • Chips in greasy newspaper.
  • Proper West Country cider.
  • Seeing, for the first time in a year, examples of the Knowle Facelift.
  • Driving a car.
  • Not having prickly heat.
  • Reading a quality newspaper. The Sun, for example. Compared to newspapers here, it's unbiased, even-handed and sophisticated.
  • Good television. Here, that consists of American Idol (which was, actually, extremely good) and When Animals Attack (which wasn't).
  • Long summer evenings.
  • Not bumping into people all the time.
  • People not talking or answering phones in the cinema.
  • Taxi drivers understanding what "second left, please" means. I know, I should've learnt Mandarin.
  • Watching the animals fight in jaw dropping amazement in the centre of Bristol on a Saturday night.
  • Hearing "last orders please". You'll miss it when it's not there.
  • Adverts. They have shown the same adverts for the entire time I've been here. The worst one is for Honda or something and features a sheep winning a horse race. If I hear the phrase "and bolting out from nowhere, it's a SHEEP!" one more time, I'm going to eat nothing but lamb and mutton for the rest of my life.
  • Car boots and jumble sales.
  • Hills.

The list could and would go on, but I've a nostalgic tear in my eye and the scent of newly mown grass in a quaint country village up my nose, with the gentle chink of leather knocking bails off stumps in my ears and the taste of cucumber sandwiches and perfectly brewed tea in my mouth. So I'll leave it there. I wouldn't want to resort to cliches.

Anyway, went to Vietnam as Andy said, and here are some photos. We did Ho Chi Minh City, aka Saigon, the Cu Chi Tunnels and the Mekong Delta. You know, touristy stuff. It was brilliant. Sadly, the photos don't do it justice.

Mike out, to paraphrase Seacrest.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice one Mikey good to hear from you again. Can't believe decent cheese is not near the top of your list of things you miss about Blighty!

    Nice photos, but mainly because i have three almost identical photos...'Melons' (swear it's the same building in the background!), 'cu chi tunnels' (not so surprising), and most amazingly 'bikes everywhere' because it was definitely taken at the same junction in Saigon as yours. Clearly us tourists go to the same places...

     
  • At 3:45 am, Blogger swisslet said…

    don't you bloody dare delete this! I didn't swing by here for bloody months of no updates to hear you say that!

    Anyway.

    Nice to hear from you, and hope you have a decent break.

    And don't worry about sounding like you're moaning. *All* work is shit.

    ST

     
  • At 9:38 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Thanks all. Lovely to hear from you. Might just be able to get back into this after all. We'll see...

    Decent cheese, Andy, is actually available just about everywhere here. It's slightly more expensive than at home which, I guess, is why people prefer durian.

    And ST, just caught up with a couple of months worth of your excellent work - any chance of a guest "earworm" slot, or do you have to be a bit more of a regular poster than I am?!

    And, Joe, that's very nice of you to say so. Looking forward to seeing you again too. You couldn't just leave the nice comment on there though, could you? No, there weren't any monkeys around any corners. Swine. Anyway, I'm sure I've written far more embarrassing things than that. Get over it.

    Thanks for continuing to drop by.
    x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home