All Right Here?

Having recently moved from the UK to South East Asia, a lot of people have asked me: "So, what's it like, then?" This is my attempt to answer that question.

Monday, February 21, 2005

As Far As I Can See

I’ve mentioned before that I have pretty bad eyesight. The other day I went to buy some new glasses which is always fraught with problems, including not actually being able to see what the glasses I try on look like. Unless I put my old glasses on top of the ones I’m trying on. Which looks stupid and doesn’t work.

Another problem is swimming. I can’t see much in a swimming pool and because I don’t have my glasses on I have less spatial awareness and become easily disorientated. The other day I was in the pool, trying to get from one side to the other without taking a breath. I thought I was about another breast stroke away from the edge, so I gave it one last push, cracked my head on the wall and received a large bump.

Neil, Cath and Ella all found this fairly amusing for some reason.

I didn’t.

People have suggested I get prescription goggles in order to solve this problem. My friend Andy, however, was quick to point out that this would probably result in my head sinking from the weight of the lenses.

Once again I wasn’t massively amused.

This experience reminded me of some Top Tips:

Just in case you smash your spectacle lenses, stick two pieces of tape on each lens in a cross shape.

In order to avoid having to wear cumbersome glasses, attach a piece of wire to each ear and fix a piece of glass to the other end. Simply balance the pieces of glass on your nose and cheeks.

Don't waste money buying expensive spectacles. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Can’t afford contact lenses? Simply cut out small circles of cling film and press them into your eyes.

Avoid losing contact lenses by drilling a small hole in each one and attaching them with a length of nylon fishing line. They can then be worn around the neck.


As far as I can work out, these top tips are also lacking in any kind of humour as far as I can see.

9 Comments:

  • At 10:09 pm, Blogger swisslet said…

    As you know, I'm a fully paid up member of the myopia club... the biggest revelation I have had is wearing contact lenses (and goggles, obviously) when swimming. It's not so much the improved in-pool experience, as the getting to the pool experience. Can't recommend it highly enough. I'll be wearing them at the London Triathlon this year too, although someone told me on Saturday that they had their goggles smashed in the the melee at the start of the swim. Obviously this would be catastrophic for a contact lense wearer, so I may hold back at the start!

    I hate buying new glasses too (last time I went wearing contact lenses so that I could see what I was trying on)... mainly I hate it because my obessive/compulsive brain always tricks me into thinking there is something wrong with the way the new glasses have been fitted - creeping up over my ear, not straight, rubbing my nose, scratch on the lens... whatever. This then drives me mad.

    People who don't wear glasses have NO IDEA how lucky they are. None.

     
  • At 5:36 pm, Blogger Di Gallagher said…

    As far as you can see? But you've already admitted that's not far...

     
  • At 8:14 pm, Blogger LB said…

    i hate going swimming. I end up walking at the speed of a tired Thora Hird between the changing rooms and the pool as I cant see a bloody thing.

    I was going to swim for half an hour yesterday but once in the water couldnt see a clock so I started counting the lengths instead. About half way through I looked up and saw the *biggest* red clock I have seen in my life on the wall of the pool....

     
  • At 9:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So I also have to wear glasses....but luckily my eyesight is still good enough to not have to wear them playing football today..

    ...so I could see the skill and agility, yes agility, of Joe "Roofa" Brown as he pounded, yes pounded his way into the box to reach a cross and put us 1-0 up today, in a game we won 3-2. It was a bit Linekeresque as be applied the finish. And then what about Quins free kick......Sheareresque!!!

    Only real downside is the serious injury that happeend to Chewie. Is now in the BRI, and having just spoken to Stan, it seems like his hip has come out of its socket and they are doing X-rays to see if any bones are broken. But Chewie is loving the Morphine. get well soon matey.

     
  • At 2:09 pm, Blogger Me said…

    Thanks for comments - glad to "see" it's not just me troubled by short sighted incidents.

    Thanks for letting me know about the footy, Jonny - very sorry to hear about Chewie and best wishes. Sounds hideous.

     
  • At 2:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, to update the poor wookster is still in hospital...

    He was hoping to come home on Sunday, then was told he could go home on monday after a scan, which was finally done this-afternoon! Apparently the old gimmers waiting for their hip replacements were priority or something.

    I've been waiting for a call to collect him since hearing that the scan had been done but it's starting to look like he'll be in another night.

    By all accounts the x-ray is very impressive...

     
  • At 6:29 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    blimey.. sports are dangerous, unless they're armchair based of course..

     
  • At 12:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii - blaaaaoow meeee! Whe the uva?

    I'd be sorry to hear you can't see if I wasn't deaf so I'm not cos I can't... Are you still with me? Love u...x

     
  • At 11:49 pm, Blogger Me said…

    I guess that could only possibly be Ewing... makes perfect sense to me... How's tricks?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home